WELCOME TO OME'OBAMBA'S BLOG

Tuesday, November 05, 2013

Fire kills 80-yr-old man in Benin
EIGHTY-year-old Pa Palmer Omoregbe was Tuesday burnt to death after fire razed a house along Izekhor Street, off Chris Mary’s Road, textile Mill Benin City. The inferno which Vanguard learnt started at about 4 am caught the occupants of the house unawares. While other occupants were rescued when men of the fire service arrived the scene, Pa Omoregbe who has been suffering from stroke for about two years could not be rescued as he was already burnt beyond recognition before neighbours could help. Sympathisers including the Chairman, Egor Local Government Council, Victor Enobakhare and the former chairman of the council, Crosby Eribo, thronged the house yesterday. The land lady of the house, Alhaja Uwagboi who narrated their ordeal, said she woke up after her girl raise an alarm that smoke was all over the house. According to her, “ we were all sleeping when my girl shouted and woke me up that there was smoke all over the house. I was confused but I stood up and started shouting for help. People came and i rushed to the room of Pa Omoregbe to rescue him but I found out there was fire everywhere. By the time I got to his room the fire has taken over and was even affecting me. “So I ran away for my life. And by the fire service men came, it was already too late” she said. Asjed what could have caused the fire, she said that “we don’t really know yet but we are suspecting electrical fault. However, Eribo and Enobakhare commiserated with the family of the deceased and assured that the council will see how to assist the victims

No comments: